Proper care of your new Kärlek Designs product will ensure that it will stay looking and feeling new for years to come.
First, some rules.
1. NEVER ever wash in a dishwasher. Wooden cutting boards are not dishwasher safe, no matter how gentle the cycle. The heat and prolonged exposure to water will warp your board in the best case, and cause it to crack in the worst case. Don't do it.
2. Don't allow the board to soak in water. This goes hand in hand with the dishwasher rule, but please don't let the board sit in a sink full of water for longer than it takes to wipe it down.
3. Condition your board when it begins to feel dry. We use food grade mineral oil to finish all of our products, meaning that eventually with the use of soap and water, the wood will lose some of the oil. When you begin to notice the board feeling dry, use a lint free cloth to gently rub some mineral oil (found at any pharmacy) into the grain until it's absorbed. This will help protect from further damage.
How to Wash and Condition Your Board
1. Use soap, warm water, and a sponge or lint free cloth to wash the entire board: top, bottom, and sides.
2. Dry the board with a towel, and then stand it on its edge or in a dish rack to let it air dry fully overnight.
3. In the morning, if the wood feels nicely conditioned still, put it away until the next time you use it! If you notice that the wood feels dry, move on to conditioning.
4. Take a lint free cloth and your mineral oil and rub a small amount into the grain of the wood, making sure that you do both sides and the edges. Let that rest again, on its side or in the dish rack, for at least 30 minutes.
5. Use another cloth or paper towel to wipe off any excess oil.
6. Finally, use a board conditioner such as our Board Butter, or your favourite salad bowl conditioner and rub that into the wood, again letting it sit and wiping off the excess.
*if you notice deep cut marks, those can be sanded out and the board can be refinished in that area using steps 4-6.